Operated under Blue Mountains City Council
Enquiring about becoming an educator

Becoming a Family Day Care educator is a wonderful opportunity to run your own home-based business. You will have the flexibility to set your own working hours and fees and establish a childcare service that is reflective of your passions as a teacher and carer.


Educators can have up to 4 under school aged children in care at one time. You can also have your own children in care with you. You can provide before and after school care or vacation care for school aged children. You can have a combination of ages in your care but no more than 7 children at any time. This includes your own children in care. The Coordination Unit will help to fill any vacancies by referring families looking for care to your service.


Educators are appointed an experienced Childcare Service Officer who will help to set up your business and provide continuing support and guidance to ensure your service is meeting the National standards.  The Coordination Unit will provide initial business and administrative training as well as assistance in marketing your service.

What is required to become a Family Day Care educator



To work as a Family Day Care educator you must have a certificate 3 in Children’s Services or higher, or working towards your qualifications whilst working as an educator.


Other requirements:


- Prospective educators must obtain a working with children check, as well as anyone else in the home over 18 years of age


- Participate in an interview, provide referees and complete an application form


- Obtain a first aid certificate which includes asthma and anaphylaxis training



Preparing your home for a Family Day Care service


Before starting your service your home will need:


- An initial property inspection to establish whether your home is a suitable to operate a Family Day Care service


- Possible minor changes or additions such as fencing, safety glass, fire extinguisher and some alarms.

  (Low cost solutions can be found if your home does require any adjustments)


- Approval from landlord if you do not own your place of residence



Management of payments and fees


While educators set their own fees, all payments for you and your families are processed through the coordination unit including the management of government childcare subsidies.